Thursday, September 14, 2006

Uncle Frank



When people find out that I collect vintage photographs, the first question they usually ask is "Have you ever found a picture of someone you know?" The answer is yes. The above photo is of my late Uncle Frank. He is in the back row, second from the left. I found this photo, actually a negative, in a collection of over 10,000 negatives that I acquired a few years ago. Uncle Frank was a veteran of World War II. He was known in the family for his extremely corny jokes. Uncle Frank along with my Aunt Violet gave me my one and only red wagon. For some reason, perhaps because of the "Space Race" of the 1960's, the wagon was not a Radio Flyer but a Radio Missile. I still have the wagon to this day. The photo is from 1953.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Mushroom said...

Wow, that's pretty cool!

A friend told me that she found out her husband was cheating on her via related means: there was this yearly volume of a set published which contained some photographs in the center quarto, and one of which showed some dance/gathering -- and her husband with another woman. Not exactly the most expedient way of discovering such things but undoubtedly a permanent proof.

As for me and Laughter is the Spackle of the Soul -- I have actually found a couple photos of someone I know, which were lost in a library. The photos were from New Years 2000 of a deaf teenage girl name of Sarah who lived a few blocks away, and I found the photos in 2003. I've seen her at least once a year since then but have never mentioned the find to her, and the last time I saw her (Dec '05) she'd lost 85 pounds... NOW is when I'd like to have a photo! :)

10:18 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Ookpik said...

Cool stories Mushroom! :)

12:34 AM, September 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home