Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Tranquility Base Arcade

I'm back....well sort of. Since closing Ookpik's Negativity I have been helping my brother collect, restore and maintain vintage video arcade games. You know the ones - Donkey Kong, Frogger, Centipede, Asteroids and all those quarter eaters from yesteryear! He turned part of his basement into the Tranquility Base Arcade. The arcade was so successfull it is currently being expanded! Naturally, I was assigned the task of creating the blog and web site! Hmmm....wonder why he would ask me to do that?!? So if any of you are interested in this sort of thing make sure to stop by. Even if you aren't interested, stop by anyway!

5 Comments:

Blogger Scrapatorium said...

Nice to hear from you again!

What an awesome space! We must be about the same age because I grew up hanging out at the arcade playing these games.

I could play Centipede for hours. I would get little bruises on my palm because the rotating ball would sometimes stick, catching a little piece of flesh in the process. Oh, and Frogger. *love* When can I come over?

11:09 AM, November 27, 2008  
Blogger Ookpik said...

Hi Swappie!

Nice to hear from you again too!

I also grew up playing these games and hanging out in the arcades but until my brother started collecting them, I had not thought about video games in about 25 years! I hurt my hand playing a game as well but it wasn’t Centipede it was a football game. The game, like Centipede, had a large rotating ball that would hurt my palm and pinch my fingers. I used to bring a glove to the arcade, even in the middle of summer!

You are welcome to stop by anytime – bring some quarters!

7:06 AM, December 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ookpik. Did you use to post pictures on Detroit Yes for location identification? If so I want to tell you that they were some of the most interesting posts on that site. If you happen to come across any more please post them as they always elicit many interesting responses.

3:33 AM, January 01, 2009  
Blogger Ookpik said...

Hi Max,

Yep - that was me! I'm glad you enjoyed the postings. The reason I quit posting is a simple one - I ran out of pictures. If I ever have pictures of the Detroit area that I need identified, Detroit Yes will be my first stop. Happy New Year!

8:57 PM, January 01, 2009  
Blogger shelbyisms said...

That is VERY cool.

6:03 PM, June 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home